Fortress of the Bear & Sea Otter Quest
Fortress of the Bear & Sea Otter Quest Tour Brochure (1.0MB)
See the wild side of Alaska like never before on a special combination of Sitka’s newest wildlife viewing experience and the award-winning Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest.
Your adventure begins with a narrated drive along a winding, coastal road to visit the Fortress of the Bear rescue facility at Silver Bay. Up-close brown bear viewing in a created habitat is the emphasis as you learn of one Alaskan family’s dream offering an alternative for bears caught in conflict with their human neighbors. Marvel at the ingenuity of reusing an abandoned wood mill site to create a home for these awesome animals. Back aboard your deluxe motor coach the journey continues as your driver/guide explains the dynamic living culture of today’s Alaskans and how the original inhabitants of Southeast Alaska both human and animal have thrived here for thousands of years.
You may even get the opportunity to hear authentic story-telling during the scenic drive back to Sitka Harbor. You’ll cap this exploration with a trip to the wild side when you embark on the Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest. Sea otters, whales, stellar sea lions, harbor seals, brown bears, Sitka blacktail deer and variety of marine birds may be observed all in their natural habitat!
What You Should Know About
The Fortress of the Bear & Sea Otter Quest
- Dress warmly & bring a rainproof jacket to wear on the observation deck.
- Complimentary coffee, tea, cocoa, water, snacks, binoculars, and a ticket to St. Michael’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral is included.
- Guests are guaranteed to see an otter, a whale, or a bear. If not receive a $100 cash refund ($50 refund per child) as you disembark the vessel.
- Due to a Sitka ordinance, no smoking is allowed on any part of the vessel, inside or on the observation deck.
- All cruise ships use tender boats to ferry passengers ashore in Sitka. Be sure to check your ticket for meeting place and time so you do not miss your tour. If your tour departs from shore allow yourself at least 45 minutes to tender ashore.
- Always check what time the last tender leaves shoreside back to your ship.
Fortress of the Bear & Sea Otter Quest Testimonials